
The origination of a great line... as told by Dan Wieden of Wieden & Kennedy fame, as in guys-who-created-Nike fame.Big fan of Nike's advertising and always have been, but I've never known where the line Just Do It comes from, perhaps one of the most well known slogans, mantras, taglines of all times. That is, I didn't know where it came from until I saw this:
http://link.brightcove.com/services/player/bcpid1315793539?bclid=1278020807&bctid=24387615001
Quick side story: A guy I used to work for told me about a young designer/copywriter who came in to interview for a job. His portfolio was amazing, and included some of the earliest and most iconic Nike work. When the interviewer asked the guy if he really did all of the Nike work, the designer simply replied, "No, but I could have if I was working there at the time." Classic comeback and one that the interviewer actually thought highly of, given the originality and guts (or stupidity) of the entire episode.
So now you know where the eponomous Nike tagline came from. And at your next party, you can be the bigshot know-it-all. Just make sure you know who Gary Gillmore was.
No comments:
Post a Comment